Mom4Life

  Lilypie 2nd Birthday Pic Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Putting a baby on a schedule?

Last Sunday, Eric turned 4 months old. Whoohoo! He now weighs 14 1/2 lbs. Whoa! What a heavyweight. :-) He has such a good appetite that little boy of ours.

-----(I may have to cut this post short because he may be waking up from a nap at any minute)---

I have recently been reading a book that seems to be full of .......? wise stuff that claims that if you follow it, your baby will sleep through the night. Well, actually Eric isn't to bad of a sleeper. At around 2 1/2 months, he started sleeping through the night. Which was about 9hrs.
Anyway, he's not consistant but he's getting better.
This book also describes putting your baby on a schedule. I think it's a little to strict to be putting a little baby on anything too rigid when they are so young. It also mentions that if you put your baby on a schedule, then they will get into a routine and start to fall asleep by themself at night and go to sleep at the same time each night.

I haven't actually tried this yet so I don't know for sure if this theory will work.
Do any of you Moms out there have any experience with this scheduling thing? Would you recommend putting a baby on a schedule or just let the baby make his/her own? I'd like to know what you think. Thanks!

4 Comments:

  • At 11:05 AM , Blogger Victor Estrada said...

    Hey Becky, I'm pretty sure Kim will post on this later but I figured I'd beat her to the punch. We actually did the whole schedule thing with Matthew and it worked great. One thing I do have to say about that book is that is is very rigid like you said but the good thing is that you don't have to be. I know for us we just kinda followed what it said and it worked great. Matthew goes to bed at about 7 each night at wakes up at about 7 in the morning. I guess that book is good but only with the disclaimer that it's more than ok to flex on everything that is says.

    - Vic

    www.TheWonderfulNoise.com

     
  • At 2:16 PM , Blogger ioi said...

    There's nothing wrong with putting a baby on a schedule... and there's nothing wrong with being a little flexible and straying from the schedule when it's needed, but from my experience (one on a schedule, and one not), schedules work wonders. You know what to expect and when... and your baby knows what to expect and when.

     
  • At 2:28 PM , Blogger Kim Tostada said...

    Well, Victor was right..This is a huge topic in the baby world. I've met moms that either hate the idea of schedules(but most of those moms have never tried one.. they just don't like the idea)or love it to death. I knew about 5 moms that had there babies on a schedule before I had Matthew and all their babies had something in common.. they were content!! Each of these moms swore by the book. Now I too thought the book was a bit on the strict side and if I followed it exactly I would never leave the house. It's just not real life. So I kinda mixed scheduling with common sense. Even hospitals tell you early on to feed your newborn about every 2 hours or so.. give or take.. but how many moms do we know are out there feeding their newborn every half hour or so.. So I'm all for the full feeding idea, schedule w/ flexibility, and putting the baby down in their crib for their naps and bed time. But yeah, that's just my opinion.. I could talk about it a lot as you can see. It worked well for us.. Matthew was sleeping through the night at 2 weeks and he was and is a very happy little guy. I'm for sure going to schedule or next little angel. Good luck w/ whatever conclusion you come to.

    -Kim-

     
  • At 12:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree with the previous commenters that a flexible schedule is a good idea for most babies and moms. Consistency is good, especially for kids and babies, who have little to no control over their lives and are happier when they have an idea of what's coming next. That said, you should trust your intuition, too. No author of any book knows your child like you do.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home