Mom4Life

  Lilypie 2nd Birthday Pic Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, January 19, 2007

Icky illness

Well, my cold turned into bronchitus. I went to the doctor yesterday and he took some x-rays of my chest and told me that it was a severe form of bronchitus.
This bug really hit me fast. Since yesterday I have had a fever that ranges from 100 to 103. And a persistant, hacking cough to go along with it.

The good news is that Eric's cold is gone. Apparently he had a small cold for a day and then it went away. Or maybe he had a allergic reaction to something. Anyway, I'm thankful that he is better.

At first I was really worried that Eric would get my bronchitus from me from my breastmilk, but the doctor assured me that it's ok and actually it's important to feed him while I'm sick so he can get the antibodies to help fight against this. In the meantime, I am taking an antibiotic and some cough syrup. The cough syrup has some slight side affects for breast feeding (Eric could be affected by it) but they are minor and shouldn't be a problem. Besides I can take the cough syrup at night since that is when my cough is worse.

It's been difficult to take care of Eric because when I walk around my body feels achy and I don't have much energy. I've been trying to just do the bare minimum (feed him, change his diaper and put him down for a nap) but it's hard for me. I'm so used to picking him up and moving him to a different form of entertainment (a few of his toys) during the day. I like interacting with him and when I'm sick I don't feel up to it as much.

Eric is helping me to feel better though. He has been smiling at me and it sure brightens my day. Even when I feel my nasty. I'm thankful that I have a cheerful baby. Recently he has been making shrieks and little laughs. It's so cute.

It's a wonderful thing that God has created me to have the antibodies so that Eric can fight this. I've been trying to breastfeed him as much as possible since I've been sick and giving him formula to make sure he's getting enough. It's been helping both of us to breastfeed because it helps me to calm down and actually focus on something else that's positive and it really calms Eric down too, especially at night. (Most of the time it works and he falls asleep with 10 minutes. I call it my magic serum. I looked up the word serum in the MsWord dictionary and for one of the definitions it says "whey" which is milk. :-) I have also found that while I'm feeding him I can read a book and read some verses from the Bible. Even it is with one hand, it works.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My special sympathies! I got bronchitis every winter - for a minimum of 15 years in a row. I've certainly 'been there' with simultaneous bronchitis, breastfeeding, and mommying young kids. You're in my prayers!! (A 'quack' supplement that supported my immune system finally stopped the annual bronchitis & sinusitis pattern.) ~Beck's Mom~

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home