Mom4Life

  Lilypie 2nd Birthday Pic Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Adjustments from a frustrated Mom

-------------------Beware of a frustrated Mom who needs to get her frustrations out-----------------

I didn't know that when I became a mom, I automatically entered my baby into a competition.
Don't people realize that babies and toddlers grow and develop at their own rate?
We can't rush them. They will walk when they are good and ready.

Here I am typing and backspacing on this blog trying to be careful about what I say. Why do I have to be so cautious and afraid all the time?

Is it ok that my toddler is not walking yet and not eating finger/table foods very well?(except for the times that he gags and throws it up 90% of the time) I don't know but I am getting tired of hearing about the moms who brag about how their kids just started taking their first steps, and they're not even 1 year yet.

I don't know what to do with the gagging problem. I think I've tried everything from Graduates for toddlers, finger foods (veggie and fruit puffs-which are suppose to melt in the mouth). The size 3 textured foods are out.
Maybe Eric is just a picky eater? I don't know. He seems to love it if it's pureed, but if it has the wrong texture or is too sticky, he rejects it by either throwing in down on the floor, or putting it in his mouth and quickly spitting it out.
Over the past few weeks, I have found that he likes a few things that are finger food: French toast, broccoli (sometimes he keeps putting a bunch in his mouth and it gets stuck at the roof of his mouth), butternut squash. That seems to be about it for now. I'm not sure what else to try. I have to remember to check the labels for milk since he is allergic to milk. That's another challenge. I got frustrated today when I opened up a can of "little chicken sticks" by Graduates I noticed that it said whey powder (from milk) in the ingredients list. Don't you love that? Arrrggghhhh... who puts milk in chicken pieces?

Did I mention that it's been down right freezing the past few weeks? Actually way below that. Yesterday morning it was 8 degrees. This afternoon, it was 21. Nice huh?
It's been quite an adjustment for us who came from California where it rarely hits 45 degrees (for a low) at night in the winter.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My favorite fact to share with people who show concern that my baby isn't doing "it" (whatever IT is...) just like theirs is that Einstein didn't talk until he was THREE. So there.
    Erik is developing perfectly. It's so hard to try and be gracious in the moment though... ugh. Motherhood is SO challenging in every way!
    Also... milk in chicken pieces?!? What's up with that!

     
  • At 9:56 PM , Blogger Becky said...

    Thanks Beck. The comment you made about "being gracious in the moment". I was feeling frustrated and I think I didn't sound very gracious. I'm sorry. I guess I've been feeling a little left out and alone. I need to remember the important things that Eric is doing and stop comparing myself or my baby.

     
  • At 7:51 AM , Blogger SAJ said...

    I've actually heard of a lot of babies who do not like to eat solid finger foods. I think it is quite common and normal! I remember one time I took BB to a nail salon (when she was way less wiggly) and sat her on my lap while I got a pedicure. She was eating cheerios out of a cup and this amazed the whole shop of aesheticians. SHE EATS SOLIDS???!!!! they gasped? Apparently this was very strange and unusual. So maybe Eric is the normal one! But it's true. Every baby is sooooo different. I get caught up in this too.

     
  • At 3:31 PM , Blogger Mary said...

    Yep, every baby is so different. Mischievo was walking shortly after his first birthday but Little Miss Priss took her sweet time and didn't walk until she was almost 15 months old. A good friend of mine had a daughter that didn't walk until she was 18 months old, so don't worry about what anyone says. I think walking by one year is considered early and 15 months is about average.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home